Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Life in the Fast Lane

When you are in the fast lane the world moves by you in a blur.  You don't notice the beauty of the trees or even the smell of delightful flowers or the smell of Spring.  If you just go through life working you may miss the joy of appreciating what the world has to offer.  I am not discounting the importance of putting food on the table, but I am making the point to say it is more than that... It is the conversations at the table that are more important.

Making time for your family I think is so necessary.  The relationships with the people you do life with is what it is all about!  I remember growing up in a very loving home and I am forever changed for the better.  My mom has her Ph D in education and because of her schedule she was always there after school and at all my extracurricular events. 

My dad on the other hand has such a demanding job he never has a set schedule as his clients can call him day or night for any reason.  But what I remember most about my dad, and something that has helped me as an adult, is he always made time for me.  I was never "bothering" him, when I needed to talk to him.  I always knew his time is literally money and thus very valuable.  But the fact that he always was at there for me and at every soccer game or cross country meet made me feel valuable.  I found my self-worth from knowing I was important to him and my mom. 

I have memories of looking for him and sometimes he was not there at the beginning. I would look and sometimes even be distracted until I saw him there watching me.  I have a couple memories of running in a cross country meet and seeing him running across the field to watch me in the race.  Let me tell you seeing my dad in full suit and tie running in a full sprint is something that has ingrained in my mind.  He was there for me rooting me on when he had a thousand other things that were also important.

At soccer games my mom was there and my dad was an announcer.  I use to pretend to be embarrassed that he called the game like it was the radio with a play by play style, but it meant the world to me because he was so into it!!  I learned a lot about how to be a wife from my mom.  She never gave up and worked all the time to make our family work.  She took night classes when she was getting her Ph D but I always remember her being there.

I know how important it is to be there for your family and I hope my family and friends know they can always count on me to stop, pull over from the fast lane, and appreciate the joys in life that don't cost a thing but your time.  We only have a limited time on this earth and I want to be remembered for how I contributed to the world, making it a better place, not just driving and pushing towards material things.  Relationships with people and our attitude are the only thing that matter.  How you treated them and how you made a difference is what people will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive encouraging comments are welcome here: