Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Full Scoop on my Dad's Broken Collar Bone Accident

This is from my Dad who broke his collar bone two days ago:
"Hi everyone!

Most of you know about my bad luck on Monday. I rented skis, and the technician adjusted the binding gap for one boot too wide by four settings. Ten yards out of the very first lift gate, that left ski popped off and I went flying forward headfirst down the hill. I rolled to the right to avoid a face plant and came down right square on my shoulder.

Three seconds of skiing and I sitting on the snow in pain. Snapped my collarbone, a complete displaced fracture. I have been skiing for 20+ years without even a bump or sprain. When Mike's friend Toby noticed the ski settings for the right boot at "O" and the evil left ski set at "W" (see photo att'd), then I became angry because this should not have happened!

So last evening at 6:00 local time I went into surgery at Vail Valley Medical Center. As you can imagine, this is routine for these medical pros. My Orthopaedics group is the same one the Yankees sent A-Rod to for his surgery. I had general anesthesia, plus a nerve block in my right shoulder and arm. They repaired the clavicle with a 3 inch titanium plate and 7 screws. I now have joined the titanium club with Doris! I think she has more screws, though.

The operation went fine and I will be as good as new. I have to stay on portable oxygen until I leave the mountains. My whole right arm was still numb this morning from the nerve block, but that is thankfully wearing off and I can use my hand.

We are just taking it easy today at home with Viki and the grandkids. Little Steven has already gained 7 oz. He eats well, sleeps well and does not cry much. Good baby boy! Michael has had to work every afternoon and evening of my visit.

Doris is staying here 2 more weeks. I am flying home tomorrow, picking up the new Jeep Grand Cherokee (ordered three months ago, delivered yesterday), and heading straight to the annual duck hunt at Walter Gomel's farm in Mississippi.

Jennifer and Kyle are coming with me on the trip. I don't know yet if I will be able to hold a shotgun steady with my right arm, but as a lefty the recoil is on my left shoulder. My surgeon is from Baton Rouge, so he knows hunting, and he cleared me to try it. Hunting is mostly about the camaraderie though, and if I can't shoot I'll take videos and "critique" my huntin' buddies!

I will return home Sunday late afternoon. I hope you are well, and ready for a Happy New Year!! Jed"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive encouraging comments are welcome here: