Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

How Billy with Down Syndrome changed my Life at UpStreet this morning

People always say when they serve in the community they are the ones that are changed.  Today this is what happened to me when I served at Up Street.  I was only filling in for a friend but I am so glad I listened to that nudge inside to agree to serve.  A little background, for those of you who are unfamiliar with my church or Up Street. I am a member of the Buckhead Church and Andy Stanley is the head Pastor over all the Northpoint Community Church.  Up Street is the childcare program for children in elementary school K-5th.  So this is where I was serving this morning as a volunteer.


I never really had any one on one contact with anyone with down syndrome and, we'll call him, Billy changed the way I will think about people with this disability.  First of all, Billy was a really sweet, independent, fun boy who was in first grade.  He didn't want me to tell him what to do, and wanted to make his own decisions.  I loved it, and I had such a good time.  He wanted to dance with all the other children and he loved the glow stick!  (They were talking about being "a light" to the people around them)  He had a pretty good attention span and did an excellent job coloring for any 8 year old. But, he was just so precious and I really enjoyed getting to know him and working with him.  It was really humbling.

During our time together, I asked him if he had any brothers or sisters and he said he had sisters.  At the end of Up Street I was really happy to meet his Father and two sisters.  I could see the way his dad loved him the way they both greeted each other and saw the joy every dad should have for their son.  It touched my heart.  His sisters were with him, just as he said, and they too looked like a joy to be around.  I was just really pleased that Billy had such a loving family.

On another note, I was really happy that my sister-in-love, as we like to call each other as she is my brother's wife, watched the sermon on www.northpointonline.tv live at 6:00 pm EST.  She said she really enjoyed Andy's message on the early church and felt like he was very knowledgeable.  Viki, I agree!!!  For more information about my church and our community please check out their website at www.buckheadchurch.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive encouraging comments are welcome here: