Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Trust Me, Ye of Little Faith


Sometimes it's hard to find good relevant things to write about.  Luckily for me, I go to a church with an abundance of insightful, relevant, and meaningful messages.  This blog post is dedicated to those people who are so busy trying to be everywhere with everyone they may be missing out on things that are really important.  They are probably even too busy to read this post, so sorry if I am just preaching to the choir.

Andy Stanley is the lead pastor and founder of the second largest church, a group of churches under the Northpoint Ministry Community Church. He has said in the past when you are asked to do something and you really need to be spending time on something that has everlasting importance, just tell them "You are doing a Great Work and you can't come."  That has stuck with me.  Which leads to his current series entitled, "Breathing Room."  For the full message go to the church website here: http://www.northpoint.org/   

God says to us, I want to provide for you but I want you to trust me first. Our Heavenly Father knows what you need before you even ask for it. What if, you really believed that your heavenly father knew your limits?  Then, he made it possible for you to suffice on less than what you think you need, but just enough of what you actually need?

The problem with our culture's current mentality is: we try to do everything, with everyone, all the time and we get maxed out.  For example, you have time and money limits. So, don't let this culture or fear drive you to try to do too much. You will not enjoy life because you will be stressing because you don’t have any margin.

People try to do too much because of fear...

The Fear of Missing out
The Fear of Not Mattering
The Fear of Not Making a Difference

God warns us to have margin in our lives.  Don't waste all your time on meaningless stuff because you are afraid.  Be unafraid to make certain people and certain events a priority and cut out the things that you can do without.  Do less but be more focused and purposeful.  My personal motto has been for about the last year, "Work Smarter, Not Harder."  Maybe it is because my husband works for UPS or maybe because with my busy job I have learned to be really efficient and wise with my time and how I use it.

So God's people asked, 'If we don't do all the work we can do, you will multiply the work we did do?'  It's the curious idea of leaving something on the table.  “So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:31, 33 NIV)

The funny thing about not having enough time for something is: when things fall apart, you mysteriously find the hours to try to fix what is now broken. For example, you can spend time “saving your marriage” after you get so busy and neglect it doing things that don't matter. Or you can spend time on the front end investing in your marriage by putting your spouse and children first. I know what I am going to do. I know who I am going to make a priority in my life.  And, as always, I trust God because in the end I know that He knows what I need.

3 comments:

  1. It appears we have something in common... my wife an I are members of Buckhead Church. We never miss a Sunday! If you see me at my desk with headphones on, it's a good bet that I'm listening to one of Andy's podcasts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that when we try to steer... anything, in fact, we are slaves. Instead of placing your faith in your riches, place your faith in the the one who provides those riches. (I stole that... :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is AWESOME Steve!! Yes, Kyle and I met at Buckhead Church and got to know each other in Fusion and other church events. Now since we live in Woodstock we have gotten really involved at Watermarke Church. We attend service there and volunteer at Transit.. Love those kids

    ReplyDelete

Positive encouraging comments are welcome here: